Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery- Collab Piece




Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery



As a nervous Fresher on her first weekend in Birmingham, a trip to a museum was just what I needed to calm my nerves and embrace my new city. So when I noticed the Birmingham & Museum Art Gallery proudly standing within Victoria Square, without even knowing what it was, I wandered in. Flash forward two years and I'm now a volunteer for the Birmingham Museums Trust, and regular attender of their beautiful Edwardian Tearooms.



The Museum is just one of 9 heritage sites that form the Birmingham Museums Trust, with locations including the Jewellery Quarter and Aston.[1] As their primary site and headquarters, the Museum offers three floors with artefacts ranging from Egyptian, to Anglo-Saxon, with a plethora of information on the cultural history of Birmingham, as well as a range of temporary exhibitions. Before the lockdown, visitors could enjoy 'Dressed to the Nines', a free exhibition exploring ‘dressing up and going out from around 1850 to the present day.’[2] A highlight of this collection for me had to be a pair of calf-length, purple velvet Doc Martens, that inspired much envy.



Another attraction of BMAG is its extensive Pre-Raphaelite collection, with an entire room dedicated to paintings and sculptures of the movement, in addition to the many items currently on tour. I reviewed this collection for the Volunteer's Blog here[3], which is just one of the ways I have been able to get involved, in addition to assisting with tours and object handling sessions. The Museum and Art Gallery is a friendly, welcoming environment that has introduced me to the world of heritage and provided a beautiful place to unwind. It's so important that this venue, and the Trust in general, is able to survive beyond the lockdown, as it provides vital arts education and celebration for the city. You can donate to their fundraiser here[4] and I for one will most definitely be racing through its doors once the Museum re-opens. 



Comments

Popular Posts